On January 19, 2018, The Arc of Opportunity celebrated the retirement of our Vice President of Corporate Operations, John Quist. With 39 years at The Arc, we also wanted to honor his long and impressive career as a beloved employee. From the beginning of his distinguished career, John has assumed a key role in transformational change for individuals with disabilities, from his time as a residential program manager to his decades of administrative leadership. John has maintained his focus on the mission of The Arc to be person-centered, while always promoting community inclusion.
Here is a glimpse of John’s journey with The Arc:
- Graduated from Fitchburg State with a BS Special Education in May 1979
- Following graduation, began his career at The Arc of Opportunity on June 8, 1979, as a Residential Program Manager
- Over the next 9 years assumed increasing responsibility in leadership of our group homes
- In 1988, moved into the role of Business Manager and then as the Finance Director
- Played a key role in transformational change in the field of disabilities including working with some of the first adults deinstitutionalized in the 70’s and 80’s
- Always committed to person-centered, community inclusion
- Has work in an administrative leadership role for 31 years yet never lost his focus on the mission of The Arc in supporting individuals with disabilities in the community
- He has established lifelong relationships with individuals
- Is always the first to ask, “What do you need?” and “How can I help?”
Please see the gallery of pictures from the celebration with the many employees, individuals, and local dignitaries that came to share stories and wish John well on his new journey. As a parting gift, John was given a surprise trip to visit his daughter and granddaughters who live on the other side of the country. A wonderful way to kick off his retirement!