“Building for Community” Capital Campaign
We’ve Laid the Foundation
For nearly 60 years, The Arc of Opportunity in North Central Massachusetts, has been a pioneer, working to assure that all children and adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities in North Central Massachusetts, have the opportunity for satisfying lives— living and working right here in the community. Since 1952, our programs and services have enabled thousands of physically, medically, and cognitively challenged individuals to live more independently, as productive members of our society.
- Our existing building at 564 Main Street is more than 100 years old — all of the major systems desperately need to be updated to assure the health and safety of our individuals and staff.
- Our current facility cannot accommodate additional individuals with physical challenges without substantial renovations to create a barrier-free environment.
- Our current facility makes it difficult to accept certain commercial work due to space and loading dock limitations.
- Our programs and services are increasing in demand by individuals who are more physically, medically, and cognitively challenged, which stretches our current facilities’ ability to accommodate their needs.
Creating a modern, fully barrier free, accessible facility will allow The Arc of Opportunity to serve an additional 50 individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities and their families, expand program offerings, and broaden the scope of commercial work taken in. These initiatives will in turn:
- Enable individuals to develop new work skills that will provide an important source of income, fostering greater independence and self-esteem.
- Enable individuals to develop important life skills that will lead to self-sufficiency.
- Provide a sense of community and belonging in a facility with space for socializing, networking, and recreation.
Last but certainly not least, this Arc building and renovation project will serve as a catalyst to jump-start Fitchburg’s ongoing revitalization efforts. Bringing more people (employees, individuals and their families, and commercial customers) to the downtown area will stimulate economic opportunities for businesses, property owners, and investors.
We Need Your Help!
We are three-quarters of the way to reaching our $5.1 million goal.
Please help us raise the remaining $1.3 million to renovate our existing building creating a state-of-the-art work facility.
On behalf of the The Arc of Opportunity and of those whose lives will be improved by your generosity, we ask that you pledge your support to the Building for Community Capital Campaign. All forms of gifts including cash, securities, and personal property will be gratefully accepted and are tax deductible. Memorial tributes are welcomed and naming opportunities are available.
- Complex (both buildings) - $1,000,000
- 564 Main Street Building - $500,000
- Parke Snow Building - $500,000
564 Main Street Building
- Main Lobby/Reception Area - $100,000 - Reserved for the George Wallace Foundation
- BOD’s Conference Room with Fireplace - $100,000
- Vocational Area - $100,000 - Reserved for Douglas & Isabelle Crocker Foundation
- Passenger Elevator - $150,000
- First Floor “Dove” Conference Room - $50,000 - Reserved for an anonymous donor to be announced at a later date.
- Vocational Area Conference Room - $25,000
- Accounting Department - $50,000
- Human Resource Department - $50,000
- Freight Elevator - $90,000
- Cafeteria - $50,000
- CEO’s Office - $25,000 - Reserved for the Heafy Family
- Development Department - $25,000
- Teaching Kitchen - $50,000 - Reserved for Rollstone Bank
- Program Rooms (large) - $20,000
- Program Rooms (small) - $10,000
- Offices - $5000
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are these renovations necessary?
The building is over 100 years old and all of its major systems need to be replaced. The current floor plan is not functional, which limits the number of individuals served.
How many additional clients will be served once renovations are complete?
Completion of the project will allow The Arc of Opportunity to increase the number of clients served by 55 generating approximately $700,000 in new annual revenue.
How does this project impact the commercial work done at Employment Resources?
Our plan is to double the current volume of commercial work. We have had to refuse work because the loading lock and antiquated elevator cannot accommodate the over-sized pallets from some of the local businesses.
How will this project affect The Arc families?
Expanding services aids family members in keeping their adult child and/or sibling with a disability at home because of the services and supports they receive from The Arc of Opportunity.
Will this project only benefit people from the Fitchburg/Leominster area?
No. The Arc of Opportunity services individuals and families in 28 cities and towns in Worcester County.
What is the total cost of the renovation project?
The total cost of renovations is $5.3 million of which $2.6 million has already been raised.
When do you expect the project to be completed?
The project will be completed in 2010-1011
Renovate a Square
Revitalize Fitchburg, Renovate The Arc
At The Arc of Opportunity, we think outside the box. We have launched a unique interactive game of squares for our “$1,000,000 Square-By-Square Campaign” that will allow you to contribute towards the campaign in addition to monitoring its success.
The campaign objective is to complete the first floor renovation of the Arc’s Main Street facility, which provides employment opportunities and day activities to individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities. The floor plan consists of over 6,667 square feet at a cost of $150 per square foot with a campaign goal of $1,000,000.
It is a Win-Win game. The people who receive services from the Arc benefit through the creation of a safe, modern working environment that is completely handicapped accessible. The donations will expand our capacity to deliver critical services. Are you ready to mark your square?
Our generous supporters
have donated a total of
towards our capital campaign.